Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Secret 16: Always something new


That's me with the buddha belly on the left.

I have not lived in any home for more than 5 years since I was 7. Including being home schooled for kindergarten I went to 6 elementary schools (K-6th), one junior high, and 3 high schools. That's 10 schools in 6 cities and I wasn't even a military brat. During that time I spent 4 1/2 years at one home (3 schools though, since I moved from elementary to high school in this time). The shortest time spent in any of those places was about 6 months.

During my senior year of high school I lived in 2 different houses and as I moved out my parents moved to yet another house. I moved in with my now-ex and we lived in that home for 5 years and moved to Reno. I lived in that house for 5 years and then moved 4 times in the last year and a half. Seriously, I hope I'm done now!

The upshot to this is that I'm really close to my little sister (who had to make all of those childhood moves with me and had 9 schools herself) and I figured out how to make friends fast. The bad side is that I'm addicted to change and have "gypsy feet". If I'm not moving then I'm painting or rearranging the furniture. I don't like things to be completely unchanging for long periods of time and will look for ways to make something different. On the bright side, it's never boring!

5 comments:

  1. adorable shot - I can't stand to move so it takes an act of congress to get me to move

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - I am the same way! Well, not really. I actually lived in the house I grew up in for 13 years (K-12), but since then have never lived longer than 5 years in any one spot...until this year. I'm on year 6 of being married to husband and we bought our house in June of 03. However, I rearrange, paint, etc so it feels different all the time. Plus we travel fairly often. I get that part of my 'gypsy feet' from my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up and lived in the same house for 23 years. Then I moved to Atlanta, and then started moving all over the place. I don't think I've lived in any one place for more than about 4 years since my early 20's.

    I like change too. This is just one more reason you are perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I'm similar, my Dad is always complaining about the number of pages I take up in his address book LOL. when we move from this house that is IT, never again!! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah...so you're doing the secrets now too. : ) My number is 6. I move every six years.

    Sorry to leave this in your comments but I couldn't find an email for you. My blog Return To Myself has been getting unwanted visitors so I'm going stealth for now. If you'd like a reader invite, just send me an email. Thanks! : )

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. It's nice to know someone is reading and I appreciate and read every one.