Thursday, September 3, 2009

Secret 25: I was at Mt Saint Helens



In 1980, when Mt. Saint Helens erupted, I was there. And I was almost too close.

My parents were scenic photographers (one still is) and they were taking pictures of the smoke. I was there with my parents and siblings. I was just over a year old and my little sister was 8 days old. At the time we had one of those pop-up trailers, the ones you could tow behind a car, and it had no real heating in it. Because my little sis was just a wee thing my mother decided we should go to a hotel for the night so everyone would be warm enough.

In the morning, at about 8:30, the volcano erupted with a massive earthquake (5.1) and caved in part of the mountain and caused volcanic mud flows. Ash flew hundreds of miles and covered everything. And the campsite that we had been staying at was gone.

My sister says I owe her my life. Guess I do.

The photo is from here.

3 comments:

  1. You are a surviver, I guess in many ways as being a mum of three it is already a challenge. Do you still have the original pictures your parents took at the time? Would be amazing to see them.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. It's nice to know someone is reading and I appreciate and read every one.