Tuesday, April 19, 2011

American Flag

Joe wants a red, white and blue bedroom and he wants a flag in there somewhere. The headboards are built, hopefully I'll get the room painted this week and the new curtains will be another quick project. But I still needed a flag. I have a frame I bought at Target awhile back that will hold multiple layers of photos so the whole thing isn't just flat. While looking at it I remembered the flag project and decided to put em together. How about the blue and red layers on top and the white floating in back?

Of course, since I'm a little obsessed with the Silhouette at the moment, I had to get that out. I wanted a simple star but the designs that came with it, I thought, didn't have one simple enough. I looked in the shop but didn't find one. Then, while looking at the star that did come with the machine I realized that I can break it apart and just use the piece I wanted. So I did that and then replicated it 49 more times.



Since a friend was asking what the Silhouette is I thought I could show it here. This lovely machine punched out all of my stars for me and now all I have to do is peel them off.



And I'm left with this:



I cut the blue sheet down and cut some strips of red for the flag from a full size sheet. Then I laid them out on a white paper to check the fit.



And now it's all in the two layer glass. I wish this glass didn't reflect so badly but I've been trying to get a good shot of it for a week. :( Can you tell that the white is on a separate layer behind everything else? Now, I do have one question. Do you think the white paper should be bigger than the rest to emphasize it? Or should I leave it the same size as the rest? Oh, and the wood behind the picture is a little bit of the new headboards. More on that later.



Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. looking at this i would make the white a bit larger. but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took your advice and tried a bigger piece of white and you are right. I'll try to get a picture tonight (hopefully sans glare). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question about the glass. How did you make the glass stay? I ride hot glue but it is not the best way . Please share.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. It's nice to know someone is reading and I appreciate and read every one.