Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Seussless



Yesterday was Dr. Seuss' birthday. I don't really read many of his books to my kids (we only have a couple) because I never forgave him for being mean to me when I was a kid. I was in the 2nd grade and he had come to our school. He was signing books in the library if you bought one but if you didn't (and I had no money) he wouldn't even say hello, much less give you an autograph. As an adult I'm guessing it was because he didn't have a lot of time but I was very disappointed and didn't understand. And I realized yesterday that under the right circumstances I can hold a grudge for a very long time. Here it is, more than 20 years later, and I still remember that every single year.

I was talking to Eric about it last night and today he wrote this for me:

"Buy my books!" said the strange man.
"I'd love to, but I have no money!" I began.
"But someday I'll have a job, and kids too!"
"You have no money today?" he said. "Boo to you!"

I've not forgiven him, not even now.
It's been over twenty years, and yet I still avow:
While I enjoy reading about green eggs and ham,
Still pissed at old Dr. Seuss, I am, I am.
I love it!

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm not surprised it has remained with you this long. He was such a star when we were kids it would be hard for a kid to be rejected like that. Boo to him. He should have at least said hello.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's said because i would have been in the same position. i will say however, i met captain kangeroo and he was nice to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. forget Seuss, you have the book "Are you there god it me Margret" I loved that book as a young girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boo to Dr. Seuss, but I love Eric's poem! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I can understand the long term frustration of such an event. I recently discovered some of the 'other' work of Dr.Seuss. I had always been aware of this mainstream illustration work from childrens books, but he did much more. His overall style can still be seen, but it was really interesting to see some of his other work and how you could still kind of tell it was his style. I seen it in an art gallery in Sausalito, but I found a web link that shows some of it, if you are interested. http://www.drseussart.com/overview.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so sad! I can only imagine my own little daughter feeling rejected for no apparent reason and honestly, it makes me mad and heartbroken both for that little girl 20 years ago! I would still be upset about it too if I were you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love that poem!!!

    and i agree - boo to dr seuss for ignoring you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eric's poem rocks! Tsk! Tsk! to him! That really makes a lasting impression. Star or not, that was soooo inappropriate of him to treat you that way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great poem! I'll bet if you write a letter (or a copy of this post) to the Suess-powers-that-be, you'll get a crate of free Dr. Suess books! When you have a sec, can you pop over to my blog and vote in my survey? Thanks! Liz xo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. It's nice to know someone is reading and I appreciate and read every one.