Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Reye's and Confidence in your doctor

I started seeing a new doctor this morning and I have to say that I am not impressed. Actually, I'm a little appalled. On my chart, under medical allergies, I list Aspirin. I do not take it for any reason. Why? Well, as a child I was hospitalized with Reye's Syndrome. It's a condition for which they don't exactly know the full cause but basically after a child (possibly older but usually kids) has a flu/fever and takes aspirin/salicylates for relief they have a very serious reaction requiring hospitalization that typically affects most bodily organs (especially liver/brain) and can be fatal. I had a trip to the hospital for this when I was around 3.

Today, this new doctor says to me "Really? You had Reye's? I thought that was just theoretical?". Um, no. It's not just theoretical and it's very serious. It's why you aren't supposed to give a child aspirin/salicylates. So either she has it confused with another condition or she honestly thinks it's not proven. In either case she should NOT be a family practice doctor. I understand that the general public doesn't always know about this condition but a family doctor who treats kids? Not acceptable. If there is a family of products that you aren't supposed to prescribe or give to children a family practice doctor should know why. Otherwise, it is too likely that they'll start to think "well, a little can't hurt". Because YES, it can.

If you are a parent or care for other people's children, please know that Reye's Syndrome can be extremely serious or fatal and you should NOT give your children an aspirin/salicylates product.

7 comments:

  1. Wow how rude of her to make an assumption like that and put you in a defensive position. Switch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How crazy! I would be switching doctors! I remember my mom never letting me have aspirin when I was little and always checking the bottle to make sure there was none in whatever med I was being given. When I got older and asked why, she always told me it was because of Reye's Syndrome. I haven't had to give Roxy much medication yet, but you can be sure that my mom's warning will be in my head everytime I give her something OTC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have GOT to be kidding me. Did she sleep thru both childhood diseases and viruses in med school? not to mention ethics and bedside manners. I agree, switch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy crap! that's crazy! but having hung out with medical students for pretty much most of the 90s, i realized there's a reason why they call it "practicing" medicine. we have this idea that they're totally brainiacs, but in actual fact, they're just good memorizers. except this one, get rid of her, quickly!! next she'll be suggesting you go get bit by a bunch of ticks because lyme disease is just a myth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. theoretical? That is insane. Definitely find a new doc!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, I don't have a degree and I've heard of it. I agree with the others, switch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!! Someone should let her know there's a lot of other 'theories' she may want to look into as well like cancer, heart disease, diabetes. Do you suppose she can accurately define these two terms: 'medical practice' 'malpractice'? Because I think she's a bit confused as to what type of care she's providing. LOL Also, doesn't aspirin bottle actually issue a Reye's warning on the label? Bet ya a twenty spot that she doesn't know what toxic shock is either. If you do find yourself in the market for a new dr,I really like the one I found and she's close.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. It's nice to know someone is reading and I appreciate and read every one.